January 8, 2012

Never Leave a Friend Behind

Living on a farm opens the flood gates for wonderous things of Nature to be seen.  All you have to do is take the time to absorb them.  I've seen my share over the years and hopefully will blog about some of them in the future.  This morning I saw something that was absolutely amazing to me and have to write it down so that it doesn't get lost in the fog of old age.  (yes, I'm getting there.....)

The nice thing about weekend mornings (much to my horses' dismay) is that I can wait until daylight to feed.  That's what I did this morning and while I was watching them eat their grain I heard some geese "honking".  Naturally, I looked up in the sky to see where they were.  It was one of those "boootiful" winter mornings where grass is crunchy under foot from the frost overnight, the sun is shining bright, the sky is oh so blue, and not a breath of air is stirring. 

The geese were in formation heading south, maybe a half of mile from our property (it's hard to tell when you are on the ground and looking up..... they might have been a mile away.... or even further).  I thought, that's cool.  We see a lot of geese in this area now a days so it wasn't really all that unusual.  Then I heard more honking behind me.  Again, I turned to see "them" and there was a lone goose in the sky, maybe about a quarter of a mile to my northeast.  I looked back to the formation I had seen going south and to my amazement they were all turning around, coming back to get their friend.  Lot's of honking went on, and the lone ranger joined the formation.  I imagined that the leader was giving the straggler the devil for getting lost or being tardy.  But they settled in and continued their flight south.

Moral of the story......  Don't leave your friend(s) if they loose their way.  We all do sometimes.

AND take the time to watch for those wonderous gifts from God.  There are many of them given each day if we take the time to open our eyes and realize where they have come from.  I know the geese in the sky this morning have made my step a little lighter all day.

  

No comments: