June 13, 2020

June 12, 2020


Today was such a glorious day I just have to document it.  It's one of those that I want to store in my keepsakes to be cherished forever.  John and I took Michael and Sophia fishing at Mississinewa Reservoir.  As we were getting Bessie (what I call our pontoon) ready to launch, we saw a Scarlet Tanager in the trees.  It was the first time I had ever seen one and was excited to snap a picture.  Unfortunately, by the time I got the camera out and focused it was gone.  I still got to see it though and in fact, I saw another one flying as we were heading to our fishing spot.  The weather was perfect for an early morning jaunt.

As they were getting their poles ready we saw a hummingbird.  Of course  Hummingbirds aren't that uncommon here in Indiana this time of year, but the way it came and fluttered in each of our faces was so enchanting - almost like it was saying good morning to us!

During our first stop, Sophia landed the first fish of the day.  She is quite the fishergirl and it's fun to see her enjoy being out in Nature.  I could have sat in this location ALL day..... so peaceful and relaxing..... fishing and catching fish was just an added benefit to me (I had not even put a line in the water yet).  My joy came from listening to the sounds of Nature waking up.

A short time after the Hummingbird visit, this majestic bird flew in.  WOW!  Bald Eagles are reclaiming their territory in Indiana and it's becoming more common to see them around bodies of water year round.  We never tire of seeing them.  John said he was probably waiting for us to catch a fish and then he'd come and take it.  Heck, he could sit on the boat railing and I would hand feed him if he wanted me to.  But alas, he just sat up there and watched us, or allowed us to watch him is more like it. 




Here came another!


And then there were two.  Oh my..... Blessings over load!  John asked, "What are the chances of us being in this spot at the very time they chose to fly in?"  

My reply, "I don't believe in chances."  God has a plan for each and everyone of us.  His plan for me today was to be overwhelmed with His presence all around us and I was.

After I settled down from the excitement of all that I had seen and heard, I decided to get a line wet.  Sophia and I declared a contest with the guys to see who would catch the most fish.  I think she already had two or three in the live well.  Bang!  My first cast and I hooked one.  A short while later I landed another.  Girls are easily in the lead now.  John nor Michael had caught any yet.  The captain decided to move us on to fishier waters, and I decided to have a beer (yes, it was probably only 10 am, but hey!  I am retired).  I told Sophia that she was going to have to carry the "girl team" for a short.  That wouldn't have been a problem but on her first cast in what we have since named Catfish Cove, something took her line and immediately snapped it (she didn't have her drag set, doggone it).  Whatever it was, no doubt it was big.  Since she was going to have down time getting her pole rigged backed up I decided to fish AND drink beer.  :)  I couldn't let Team Girls slide you know.  A couple of casts and then HOLY COW!!!!  Fortunately John had my drag set!  I have never experienced anything like how this fish was fighting.  Not sure how long it fought but I know it was longer than two or three minutes.  He was a fighter and a pretty darn big fish.  I felt like I was in one of those fishing shows on TV!  He would run then I would reel and gain a little.  My pole was bent way over.  I had been fishing for Crappie and that is the pole and rigging that I had.  This WAS NOT a Crappie!   Oh it was fun.   HOLY COW!  I did get him in the boat finally.  Team Girls are definitely ahead of Team Guys.



We finished off the day with a picnic in a shady spot, where John caught a nice Bass and Drum.  Then it was time to call it a day.  I never want to get off the water but in the afternoon it gets really warm, the fish take a break from hitting, and we have animals to tend to at home.  It was time to go.  I declared Team Girls the winner and the guys agreed.  What a fun day.  I finished it out with an evening on my deck listening to the Bobwhite Quail that I raised and turned loose.  This is another thing I don't think I would ever tire of.... their precious BoB WHITE whistle.  Listen close:



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a glorious day, indeed.